By: Jay Edwards
The 4th of July is almost here and it’s time to fire up the grill. Hold on, not so fast! A group of professional chefs were asked the foods you should never cook on a grill and once you see them, we have a feeling you might disagree.
1. Burgers- WHAT? Their argument is that the fat drips down, the outside doesn’t get caramelized and you lose all the flavor. You’re supposed to use a plancha, which is a flat piece of cast iron you place on top of the grill. Sorry, lost me on this one Bloomberg.
2. Filet Mignon- Chefs say it doesn’t have enough fat for the grill and since they’re usually pretty thick, it’s hard to cook them the way you want when you’re using a flame.
3. Pizza- Most grills don’t cook very evenly and it’s also hard to get the toppings to cook right. If you insist on cooking your pizza on the grill, use aluminum foil or a pizza stone. Otherwise you might have a tough time scraping it off the grill.
4. Fish- Some fish is OK like a thicker steak like swordfish or shark. However, flaky fish like salmon and tilapia tend to do better if you cook it on low heat and not on a grill.
5. Kebabs- They’re perfect on the grill and taste delicious, just keep this in mind… Vegetables tend to cook faster than meat, so don’t put everything on the same skewer. Put meat on one and veggies on another and very the timing when you put them on the grill.