Are your kids begging you to get a new dog? Have you been telling your spouse that a four-legged friend would be an awesome addition to the family? Well, if you need to get your point across, here are five reasons why having a dog is good for your health…
1. Dogs provide unconditional love- Every dog owner knows there’s nothing better than the happiness and excitement that comes over your dog every time you get home from your work day. Even if you’re gone for only two minutes, they act like it’s been forever since they’ve seen you!
2. They make your heart healthier- According to the American Heart Association, owning a dog could lower your risk of cardiovascular disease because there are scientific studies that show a link between pet ownership and reduced blood pressure, cholesterol, and obesity.
3. They ensure regular exercise- All those daily walks are just as good for you as they are for your dog. A Michigan State University study found that dog owners are 34% more likely to reach the American Heart Association’s recommended 150 minutes of exercise per week than people who don’t have a dog.
4. They help you manage stress- Several studies have found that playing with your dog can increase levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin in your brain, while lowering the stress-producing hormone cortisol. Just think of stress dogs that are brought in during times of tragedy.
5. They make you more social- Part of walking your dog every morning means running into the same people along your route and that’s a great way to meet people in the neighborhood and make new friends.