Sweet Florida berries, tangy goat cheese and crispy chicken are a perfect match in this spring salad. Serve for lunch or a light supper.
Chicken Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
Yield: 4 servings
6 chicken cutlets, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
1/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup strawberries, halved
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly-chopped mint
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups Bibb lettuce, washed and dried
2 cups arugula
8 strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1. For the dressing, in the work bowl of food processor or blender, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, halved strawberries, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and mint; blend until smooth.
2. Pour half of the dressing into a zip-lock bag. Add chicken cutlets, seal, refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
3. While chicken is marinating, toast pine nuts by placing in a nonstick pan over medium heat; toss or stir until nuts are golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
4. Heat oven to 200F. In a shallow bowl, combine corn meal, flour, salt, and pepper. Place a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
5. Remove chicken from marinade, one piece at a time, place in corn meal mixture and turn to coat both sides of cutlet.
Place first three pieces of coated chicken in sauté pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned. Repeat with last three pieces of chicken. Remove chicken to plate and place in oven to keep warm.
6. In large bowl combine lettuce, arugula, toasted pine nuts, and remaining 1/2 cup of dressing; toss well. Add strawberries and goat cheese.
7. Divide salad among four plates and top each with two pieces of warm chicken and serve.
Click here to visit Heather’s Florida Kitchen.