Several states now make kids learn CPR in high school and I think that’s a brilliant idea! However, there are several other practical skills that would be great if our kids could learn in school, too! See what you think of these six suggestions mnn.com and tell us if you’d add one to the list…
1. Home improvement- For example. how to fix a toilet that’s running or how to hang a shelf. Most stuff around the house is easy, but it can be intimidating if you’ve never done it.
2. Basic car maintenance- Like how to jump a battery or check the air pressure in your tires. And in the advanced class, how to change your own oil!
3. How to stick to a budget- Some basic financial advice could go a long way with keeping college students from maxing out that first credit card. Plus, teaching them how to stick to a budget and SAVE is super important!
4. Self-defense- You’d just have to figure out a way to do it without kids getting hurt. But knowing how to defend yourself is a life skill you should have forever.
5. How to do your taxes- A high school in Georgia actually started teaching kids a few years ago.
6. Computer programming- Kids in England start learning how to code in elementary school, but around 90% of schools in the U.S. don’t teach it at all.