Do you know what the “K” in K-Mart stands for? How about the “J” in Michael J. Fox? Finally, the meaning behind all those famous acronyms and initials all of us use on a daily basis.
Thanks to the website MentalFloss.com, now we have an explanation to LL Bean and what the “E” in Chuck E. Cheese stands for, check it out!
1. BMW: Bayerische Motoren Werke, translating to “Bavarian Motor Works.”
2. L.L.Bean: by its founder, Leon Leonwood Bean.
3. CVS (Pharmacy): Consumer Value Stores
4. The A and W of A&W: (Roy) Allen and (Frank) Wright.
5. M&M’s: stands for Mars & Murrie’s, the last names of the founders.
6. 3M (like scotch tape products and such): Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing.
7. TCBY: means The Country’s Best Yogurt, but it didn’t always. TCBY was “This Can’t Be Yogurt” until they were sued by I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt!, a rival frozen yogurt chain.
8. The K in Kmart: Kresge is the K in Kmart, for founder Sebastian S. Kresge.
9. DSW: Designer Shoe Warehouse.
10. JCPenney: James Cash Penney
**FUN FACT: Sam Walton interned with James Cash Penney at JCPenney and then later went on to create and produce a multi-billion dollar company. Ever hear of a place called “Wal Mart?”
11. CBS: Colombia Broadcasting System
12. TASER: stands for Thomas A. Swift’s Electric Rifle.
13. SMART car: A combination of Swatch and Mercedes, smart car is short for Swatch Mercedes Art (car).
14. ZIP (code): Zone Improvement Plan.
15. USA PATRIOT ACT: “Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism” Act.
16. Michael J. Fox: His middle name is Andrew. The “J” stands for nothing.
17. Necco Wafers: New England Confectionery Company.
18. F.A.O. Schwarz: Frederick August Otto Schwarz founded the toy company with his brothers.
19. DHL: (Adrian) Dalsey, (Larry) Hillblom and (Robert) Lynn.
20. Chuck E. Cheese’s middle name: Entertainment.
21. ALF: Gordon Shumway’s nickname is an acronym for Alien Life Form.